Friday, April 22, 2011

couponing...it's the rage!

Have you watched extreme couponing on TLC yet? Well, if you haven't you should, it's purely insane! I'm not too convinced yet that it really is ALL legit (considering it is reality TV) but it's very entertaining nonetheless. Couponing has become such a popular thing all over. There are websites that teach you how to coupon, where to use them, when to use them, where to locate them, etc. You can take classes on couponing as well. There are forums that you can read, and groups you can join, it's the rage! I don't think I have mentioned on here before but I have been couponing for about 3 years now and I LOVE IT! It is so addicting and actually fun, no joke! When I first started I was overwhelmed, I will admit. But after experience and time I became more efficient, and fast at the whole process. It takes some time and organization but is SO worth the time and effort that you put into it. When I first started couponing, my kids thought that it was because we were "poor!" I quickly taught them that it was just "smart!" Soon enough, Fischer was really getting into it and started coming with me just see how much I was able to take the total bill down. I remember when I was little I loved to cut the coupons out for my mom and file them in her coupon holder. Now Emma wants to do the same thing for me. I think it is great to get your family involved in the process too. One thing we love to do is eat out and we eat out a lot but almost ALWAYS with coupons! We use coupons, discounts from city deals, groupon, entertainment books, etc. A few months ago Fischer and a couple of his friends wanted to go out to eat and Fischer was trying to find places that we had coupons for....I love it! He is smart and will hopefully continue to want to save money here and there. Anyways, I have had a GREAT coupon week this week. I didn't take pictures from my shopping adventures earlier this week but I did score so much and for free too! Today I had another great shopping trip and I decided to take a picture and post for you to see. I purchased the following:

11 boxes Brownies (we love brownies)
8 bags potato chips
4 power bars
2 dozen eggs
2 packages huggies diapers
6 liters crush soda
2 boxes granola thins
1 box fiber one bars
1 box nature valley granola bars
1 caramelo candy bar (not shown)

= 38 total items for a grand total of
$30.84
that's approx. .81 cents per item and I have huggies diapers in there...wowza!

Just thought I'd share my experience! I hear people say that they don't have the time to coupon but really it is so worth it. Some people say that they always forget to bring the coupon and/or forget to actually use it at checkout. It becomes a habit quickly I promise and I take my coupons with me wherever I go...you just never know! I score a lot of free things at Target all the time!

p.s this looks like a lot of junk food but when you have 5 kids, you need snack stuff all the time but I have many shopping trips that include all the healthy stuff too.

Life is sweet!

3 comments:

liz said...

you need to teach me this skill! i'm serious. let's get together A-SAP. i'll let you hold naomi while i cut coupons. :)

Scarlett said...

I love coupons! Did you go to Smith's?

Congrats on selling your home! Can't wait to see where you're going.

THE SANDERS said...

Angela,

I found you off of Brei's blog and I am going to blog stalk you now. :)

P.S. I think you need to teach me this skill also!