Friday, August 21, 2009

The camping trip from HELL!

FROM THIS TO THIS!

Yes I just swore! Wash my mouth out with soap! But honestly, that is the only word that can really describe our latest outdoor adventure. It all started Thursday morning when I decided to take Crew into the Dr. because I thought he must have an ear infection since he had not been sleeping very well for the last week. Sure enough, a double ear infection. Got the antibiotic and we headed out. Crew cried almost the entire way there. I'm sure the pressure and the altitude made his ears feel worse than they already did. He refused to suck on his binky which would have helped pop his ears.

Shortly after we were in the mountains we discovered that Curtis had left his wallet at home in his work car. So we had no money whatsoever with us. Great! We finally arrived after dark and it was raining. We couldn't really see much so we just found the best place possible and if we had to change spots in the morning we would. We hurried and made sandwiches and went to bed.

The next day we searched the truck high and low and found some old bank checks we had from our Allstate business account a few years ago. We weren't sure if and how much money we had in that account but decided to go and find out. We drove down into Heber and went to our bank and sure enough we had 97.00 (whew!) And luckily they let us get the money. More than enough to fill up the tank with gas. That was a tithing perk!

We had some family and friends meeting us that day so we headed back to camp only to have it start snowing like the 24th of December. Lesson learned: Just because it is August do not underestimate Utah weather. Pack winter clothes and more than a couple pair of socks. I have never been so cold in my life. It was frigid. Crew started getting worse and worse. So of course he cried ALL NIGHT LONG. Even if I held him he was crying. I'm sure his ears were killing him but the fact that he couldn't feel his hands and ears didn't help either. We were cooped up in the trailer for hours while watching it snow. It was a complete mud pit after the snow melted. My kids were out of clean dry socks. Our heater was not working. Crew was screaming. I was crying. It was not a pleasant experience. We did have great company however due to the freezing cold we were not able to hang out much together. I just wanted to go home, crawl into my warm bed and pretend it never happened. And that is exactly what we finally did. Our friends ended up going to Strawberry and had a great time. I'm sure someday, I repeat SOMEDAY, I will look back on this whole trip and laugh! But not for now!

Life is better!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! just not in august

life in red shoes said...

Angela Dear, ALL camping trips are Hell.

Scarlett said...

Wowzuh!(Did I just type that?) That just about sucks. I am glad you were safe, though! Camping is so not my fav thing to do for these kinds of reasons. Hopefully you will have better luck next time.

Teresa Gamboa said...

Camping trip from Hell? Were we on the same trip? So, I needed medication...for my ankle and my mental state but all in all it was good. Of course, I did not have the baby with double ear infections BUT you could have come over to a warm trailer. Shame on you for not being neighborly and coming over!!! Our next trip will be better...you just wait and see. I am actually looking forward to it. Love your family and the company...even though it was a trip from (#@!!) Oh and if you are going camping....go with the Timothy family...they cook the best food. :)

cathycan said...

hahaha, did you read my Rock Creek Chronicles!
Camping can be fun, but like my 5 year old said once, many years ago, "I like to camp in a motel".

Jamie said...

Maybe you're not laughing about this camping trip yet but I laughed! :)